The Coronavirus (Covid-19) is on all of our minds so I would like to let you know that like all other schools and businesses, Discovery is closely monitoring the developments put out by the CDC, WHO and the NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene. Today, I met with the other school directors in the building along with the Director of the Synagogue to review our building-wide policies.
In order to stay healthy and minimize the spread of illness, Discovery is asking for the help of parents and caregivers:
- Please review our sick policy found here in our General School Policies. It is important that children do not attend class with a fever of 100 degrees or higher. The child should be fever free for 24 hours before returning to class. If your child has an excessive runny nose or cough that disrupts their daily routine, they should stay home. If they miss school for illness, they should also stay home from their after-school class. For regular classes, we will offer more than 2 makeups for sickness within reason, as long as space provides (there are no make-ups in the early childhood program).
- We ask that your children wash their hands or use hand sanitizer when they arrive at Discovery before class and when they finish class.
- We ask that you review with your children their hand washing technique, as well as sneeze and cough etiquette.
Some of the other things that Discovery is doing to minimize the spread of illness:
- We have reminded staff of our sick policy and to stay home if they don’t feel well.
- We have reminded staff of frequent hand washing as well as sneeze and cough etiquette.
- We have reviewed cleaning techniques with our maintenance staff.
- We have put up posters in the bathrooms and our community bulletin board regarding hand washing.
- Our staff is reminding students in class about hand washing as well as sneeze and cough etiquette.
- We are adding extra cleaning of tables, door handles and toys throughout the day.